Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Wreath Conundrum

I love wreaths. Like really love them. I would easily change out wreaths every two weeks if I could and would easily like to DIY them all. But, sigh.
There is only one little problem with DIY’ing every single wreath out there… storage. I live in a house that was build 100 years ago. Okay, so not really, but for real… where the heck do you store wreaths for every occasion? Every holiday? Every sports season? (I have no clue, but if you have any ideas then I am all ears!)
So, I set out for a way to make one wreath work for all holidays, occasion, sports season, etc. And, it turns out it is not an easy feat. However, I forged on and made a trip to my local HobLob (aka Hobby Lobby for those of you who are not HobLob snobs like me! Ha)
I found a simple solution to my problem and it came to me in the form of a twiggy wreath.
Ahhhhhhh.
It was like a light bulb came on. So, I picked up the twiggy wreath and headed to the floral department. If you have read any of my other post, you know that I am a cheapskate. Like, for real. If it isn’t on sale then I am probably not even going to look it over. But, sometimes I see things on sale and am still like “nope, I am not paying that for that!” And, that is what happened to me and the floral department.
I realize these flowers are on sale, but still. The plan is to downsize décor after use and I couldn’t bring myself to pay $5 for something I was planning to throw away in a few months. So, I decided that Dollar Tree fake flowers would suit me fine for this project.
The twiggy wreath was about $8. It was not on sale that day, of course, but I had my 40% off coupon so I purchased anyways. (My mom would be so proud of me for purchasing something originally not on sale!)
http://www.townandcountryshuffle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/spictures-004-1024x764.jpg
photo via pinterest 
So, here is the best part about twiggy wreaths…. NO GLUE REQUIRED! Yes, that is right. Think about it.
If you cut the flowers away from the bundle with a little stem then you can just arrange the flowers in the wreath WITHOUT needing any glue… therefore, you can reuse the wreath time after time! Win!
You can also use zip ties, bread ties, fishing wire, etc. to add bows, letters, state outlines, DIY snowflakes… the list could go on and on and on. Seriously.



Here are a couple of examples of what I have done so far. The first one is what I did for the fall. My pink door can be a little… overwhelming for the faint at heart so I tried to keep my fall décor to a minimum because let’s face it… I LOVE fall décor. I zip-tied a orange burlap bow and arranged the yellow thingy as best I could and left it at that.



Now, for my pink flower wreath I went a little crazy. I actually had the three larger flowers leftover from another project and decided to use them this go around. They were from HobLob and I couldn’t think of any place else in the house where I would use them so I went for it. The other flowers all came from Dollar Tree. Most of the DT flower bundles had a least four or five flowers per bundle so cost wise it was a cheap DIY! I had the “B” already from my old bedroom colors and since it had been hiding under my bed I thought I would put it to good use. (I also got the letter at HobLob and then modge podge scrapbook paper.) I tied a bow in some pink tulle and hung it from the wreath hanger so it looks like it is more attached than it really it.




                                 


I would be lying to say that I didn’t already have plans for my next wreath decorations, so be sure to follow @brenna_davis on Instagram to see upcoming projects… including pallet gardens, pallet furniture and my Fourth of July wreath!


No comments:

Post a Comment