My Mommy-Dearest just celebrated her birthday and in order to have a complete birthday, we of course had birthday cake. Now, I am no Betty Crocker so I opted to have someone else make the cake for me! (Your are welcome, family! haha)
I have seen some super cute cake toppers on Pinterest and have been really really wanting to give it a try and Mom's birthday was a perfect excuse to test out this project. (Disclaimer-- I also bought "Happy Birthday" candles just in case this was a bust!)
It was quite simple actually. All you need is paper to match your cake colors, wooden dowels, scissors, tape, string, sharpie and something to use as a pattern.
I sat down in my crafting room aka my living room floor to try to figure out how to make this work. I had seen many things on Pinterest that made for cute toppers, but nothing that seemed as easy as what I was looking for so, this is what I came up with!
1. Make a pattern-- I free handled a triangle on some junk mail that was laying close by and then cut it out to use as a pattern.
2. Cut it-- Once I had the pattern cut out, I cut a strip of paper twice the width of the triangle and then folded the strip of paper in half. Then place the edge of the triangle on the folded side and start cutting the triangle pieces. I cut four of each color because I am OCD like that!
3. Stick it-- I used stickers for my lettering, but if you have pretty handwriting you could easily free hand your letters.
4. String it-- I cut the string a little longer than what I thought I was going to need in case I needed to make adjustments later. It actually ended up being a good idea seeing as how I definitely underestimated this part!
5. Tape it-- After I laid the string out between the folds of the triangles, I taped them together to secure it! They are still loose enough to move so you can adjust them once they are placed on the cake to make sure they are even, centered, etc.
6. Tie it-- Tie each strand around the wooden dowel and then cut off the long ends.
7. Place it-- Now stick it in the cake and you are done!